How to do Trademark Search
How to do Trademark Search – Intellectual Property awareness has gradually increased among Indian startups, individuals, Companies, Firms from past decade and every businessman in the present scenario wants to get through with the registration of a mark which can identify their product or services from other entrants. Present statistics showed that approximately one lac applications were filed in the year of 2015. Therefore, it is very important for all the applicants to do the detailed search before filing for application of Trademark so that while filing the Trademark application the applicant is confident about the uniqueness of their Trademark and probability of registration is higher.The main purpose of writing this article is to give clarity on how to do the trademark search in India.
All the database of Trademark in India is under the supervision of Controller General of Patents,Designs and Trademarks. The Trademark database contain all the objected, registered, applied, abandoned and expired trademark registration. The authorities have allowed the online access of database for the users through the website of visit at :- ipindia.nic.in which will serve valuable information in relation to trademark status and whether the chosen mark by the user is not prior registered by other entrant under books of record of Trademark.
How to do Trademark Search
To do the Trademark search in India, visit the official government site of General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks. The Trademark search can be done through two ways.
1. Wordmark Search
2. Phonetical Search
The same has been explained herein detailed below:
1. Wordmark Search:
- Step 1: Select the search type as “Wordmark” on the Top of page
- Step 2: Enter the wordmark you would like search in the box next to the “start with” is written.
- Step 3: Enter the class from1 to 45 under which your goods or services falls. You can check the classification of goods and servicesfrom the following link http://euipo.europa.eu/ec2/classheadings/?niceClassLang=en
- Step 4: After writing the suitable class, click on the “Search” option.
- The report will be generated which show all the similar Trademarks application.
- In the following example, the result for the trademark search word “suit” under class 43 (Class 43 for providing food and drinks, temporary accommodation) is showed.
- Step 5: Select the option of “show detail” which will display the information pertaining to the trademark application number, application date, owner details, trademark validity, status and description.
- Step 6: Click on “tick box” and then “report” option for saving the details of relevant Trademark application
Phonetical search servers the wider scope of search of a Trademark which will give double assurance to the user that no similarmark existin case of sound or spelling of the wordmark. All the steps to do phonetic search are similar to wordmark search except step.
- Step 1 Will be Select the search type as “Phonetic” on the Top of page