FSSAI Registration / License

Under Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSSAI)

FSSAI Registration or obtaining Food License is easy when done by setindiabiz. Our dedicated team will help you to seek food business registration across India. We will extend our support in documentation preparation, filing and subsequent follow-up with FSSAI.

Explore Pricing Schedule Free Consultation
  • We hate spam as much as you do.
  • No Data Sharing. 100% Confidentiality

FSSAI Registration / License

FSSAI Registration / License

Well, the first step towards FSSAI Registrationfor a Food Business in India (also known as FBO in short), is to check your eligibility and required documents for FSSAI Registration or License, then understand the detailed stepwise procedure for registration/license of a food business in India. Food registration is granted by the FSSAI to carry on the food business.

The FSSAI Registration or License is location specific and is also term bound. All the food business who foresee an annual turnover of Rs 12 lacs or less has to register itself with the FSSAI of the concerned state in which the food business is operating. Registration of food business is mandatory in India to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution and sale, to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption. It is generally applicable to small businesses.

FSSAI Registration / License

Key Points on FSSAI Registration / License

Who needs FSSAI Registration

Who needs FSSAI Registration

It is mandatory for every food business. “Food business” means any undertaking, whether for profit or not and whether public or private, which is carrying out activities related to any stage of manufacture, processing, packaging, storage, transportation, distribution of food, import and includes food services, catering services, the sale of food or food ingredients.

Who needs FSSAI State License

Who needs FSSAI State License

The state FSSAI License is required in all cases where the turnover of the Food Business Operator is more than 12 lac in the financial year. In other words, if you are operating with FSSAI Registration, then you must obtain the FSSAI State License when your turnover reaches 12 Lac.

Who need FSSAI Central License

Who need FSSAI Central License

The Central License is mandatory for FBO operating in multiple states, importer, 100% export oriented units, FBO providing catering services in central government agencies like Railways, Air and Airport, Seaport, defence etc.. Please contact us to check eligibility

No Minimum Turnover

No Minimum Turnover

Every FBO which has a turnover less than 12 lakhs need to apply for registration whereas if the turnover is more than 12 lakhs it is required to apply for a licence with Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI). The government fee is based on the number of years the entity is applying for registration i.e. validity period.

Location Requirement

Location Requirement

Food registration is site-specific. The validity of food registration can be for one year to five years. The registration certificate must be displayed at the prominent place of premises where the activities related to food business is being carried out & Inform authorities, every changes or modification in the activities.

Unique Registration Number

Unique Registration Number

The FSSAI allots a unique 14 digit registration number while registering an FBO. It is the responsibility of the FBO to display FSSAI Logo and Registration Number on the label of product package in contrast to the background colour as per the labelling regulation.

Pricing (All Inclusive)

10-15 DAYS

    Required if the turnover is less than 12 lac in a Financial Year

Get Started Now
Best Seller

    In case turnover is more than 12 Lac but limited to 20 Crores for retailer/ 30 Crores for wholesalers

Get Started Now
Gold Pack

    For all cases where turnover exceeds limits prescribed for state License

Get Started Now

Disclaimer: The FSSAI Act specifies a detailed eligibility norm which is generally based on turnover However, there are exceptions to the general rule. Please refer to the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and rules framed thereunder.

Documents Required for FSSAI Registration

  1. Certificate of Incorporation & MOA
  2. PAN Card and Expected Turnover
  3. Application Form and Declarations
  4. Premises Proof with NOC from Owner
  1. Photographs of Promoters/Partners
  2. PAN Card of Each Promoter/Partners
  3. Identity Proof of Promoter/Partners
  4. Address Proof of Promoter/Partners

Procedure For Food Registration/ FSSAI License



The FBO has to ascertain whether it has to make application for FSSAI Licence or Registration. If it is a case where a licence is required, then you need to determine whether you need state license or central FSSAI License



Application to FSSAI Registration is made online in the prescribed format along with supporting documents. The applicant may apply for registration or licence having a validity period from one year to five years.



Once the application is submitted, the FSSAI Portal shall generate an application ID Number. It has to be used as a reference and in all further correspondence the application ID is used until the FSSAI Registration or licence is granted.



The authorities will make scrutiny of the application and may require the applicant to furnish any additional information within 30 days of intimation. The food license may be issued immediately without any prior inspection, or the FSSAI may order for field inspection, on the case to case basis.



The food inspectors shall carry on inspection at the premises of the FBO and on the basis of which the concerned licensing authority shall consider the application and may either grant a license or reject the application after giving an opportunity of being heard. The licensing authority has to take decision within 30 days.



After approval of the application for grant of Food Registration the FSSAI issues a certificate of registration and a Photo Photo ID card of the Food Business Operator (FBO). The certificate, as well as Photo ID Card, need to be displayed in a prominent place at all times within business premises.

Video on FSSAI Registration/ License

Food LIcense
FSSAI Registration

Frequently Asked Questions

What is FSSAI?

Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a regulatory authority established under Food Safety and standard Act 2006 for laying down scientific standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import, to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.

Do a hawker need FSSAI registration, Does setindiabiz provide services for such registration?

A hawker is also known as a mobile food vendor/Itinerant. They also need to register themselves with the FSSAI. They do not have fixed premises from which they will operate. Thus, there is no need for submitting documents for premises at the time of registration. It is always advisable for them to seek registration on their own to save cost.

However, the petty retailers of snacks or tea shops do not fall into the category of mobile food vendor / Itinerant as they operate from fixed premises and as such is required to seek FSSAI Registration if turnover is less than 12 lac and in case turnover exceeds 12 lacs then state level license is needed.

What is the difference between Food registration & Food Licence?

Every food business requires FSSAI registration or License. It is mandatory for a business either to apply for registration or licence. This decision is based on factors like

  • the Capacity of production
  • handling
  • Nature of food business activities,
  • Number Places of operation,
  • Area of operation is within India or Abroad.

On the basis of the above, the food business operator (FBO) need to assess whether the business should apply for registration or license. We are serving food business all over India with all compliances under FSSAI.

Every FBO which has a turnover less than 12 lakhs need to apply for registration whereas if the turnover is more than 12 lakhs it is required to apply for the licence with Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI), Ministry of Family Health & Welfare, Government of India. For any confusion concerning the applicability issue of FSSAI, you may contact team setindiabiz.

What are the different categories of licence?

The Licence is divided into two categories:

  • Central Licence
  • State Licence

Whether an FBO needs to apply for Central Or State licence will depend on the nature of the business, its turnover and area of operation. For instance, the guiding principles are as under:

  • State License is required when the Turnover of the FBO is more than Rs. 12 Lac but less than 20 Crore in case it is a retail business or Rs. 30 Cr if the FBO operates as Whole Sellers
  • In cases where the turnover exceeds the maximum limit prescribed for state license the FBO shall need to obtain a Central License.
  • If FBO is operating in more than one state a state license then they are also required to obtain a central licence at the registered office/head office.
  • Importers are required to have a single central Licence at the address where the Import Export Code (IEC) is registered.

What is the turnover limit for FSSAI Registration (Food Registration)?

Every person or entity engaged in the business of Food require to get itself registered with the FSSAI, such registration is also known as Food Registration. There is no minimum turnover prescribed; however, the maximum limit is set at 12 lac. This means that every person (Food Business Operator) starting food business need to get itself registered with FSSAI, however, if turnover is more than 12 lac then they need to get a License

What is the turnover limit for FSSAI License?

Every FBO, exceeding the turnover of Rs. 12 Lac need to obtain a license from FSSAI, there are two types of license, one is known as State Food License while another is Central Food License. Apart from turnover, there are many other eligibility criteria to decide as to which license is applicable for FBO.

How much time is needed to obtain food registration?

FSSAI Registration may come within a week time if the controlling authority does not order any inspection. However in cases where inspection is ordered the time required to get FSSAI Registration may be around 30-60 days as prescribed in the FSSAI Act / Regulations.

What is the government fee for FSSAI Registration?

The registration fee is charged by FSSAI on an annual basis. An application may be made for a period ranging from 1-5 years. The fee for seeking registration with FSSAI is Rs 100 per annum. A Food Business Operator (FBO) may apply for registration for a maximum period of five years.

What is the validity period of FSSAI Registration?

The licence is valid for the period for which it is issued unless it is cancelled by the FSSAI. An application for renewal must be made before the expiry of the licence. It can be renewed for a maximum period of five years.

What are the documents required for Food Registration with FSSAI?

The documents required for Food Registration is based on the entity type of applicant seeking FSSAI Registration, For example for aproprietor only his id and photograph is required whereas for a company the documents required also includes legal documents of the company.

The List of Documents Required from Applicant (Other than Individual applicants or proprietorship)
  • Application Form
  • Declaration By the Applicant (Authorised Representative)
  • Food Safety Management System Plan
  • Nomination of a person for managing affairs of the food business
  • Partnership Deed/Self Declaration for Proprietorship/COI & Memorandum & Articles of Association towards the constitution of the firm
  • Declaration of Annual Expected Turnover
  • PAN Card of Applicant
  • Proof of Premises where the FBO is operating
  • NOC from the owner of the premises.
Documents of Promoters (Directors / Shareholders)/ Partners
  • Two Photographs of Promoters/Partners
  • PAN Card of Each Promoter/Partners
  • Identity Proof of each Promoter/Partners
  • Address Proof of Promoter/Partners

What are the documents required as proof of registered address for Fssai Registration in India?

A food business has to seek FSSAI Registration for each location at which the business is being carried out. Following are the list of the document which is acceptable as proof of premises where the food business is situated. The premises proof should not be older than two months.

  • Electricity Bill
  • Gas Bill
  • Telephone Bill
  • Mobile Bill
  • No Objection Certificate (NOC) From the Owner

Do I need to take a NOC from the owner of premises where Food Business is operating, for the purpose of FSSAI Registration?

Before a food business occupies any premises for its activities, a no objection certificate (NOC) must be obtained from the owner of the premises. Similarly, at the time of filing for FSSAI Registration, we need a NOC from the current owner of the premises along with proof of ownership as explained above.

What are the additional Documents Required for Food Licence?

To make an application for grant of FSSAI License, all documents as explained above for FSSAI Registration is required and following are the additional documents.

  • Application Form in Form B
  • Blueprint/layout plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions in metres/square metres and operation-wise area allocation
  • Declaration form
  • Food Safety Management System Plan or Certificate
  • Nomination of a person for managing affairs of the food business
  • Constitution documents for the applicant
  • Proof of premises at which licence is being sought
  • Proof of expected Annual Turnover
  • Test analysis report Analysis report of water (Chemical & Bacteriological) if it is being used in the manufacturing process as an ingredient

Can an FBO carry on different activity at the same premises under one FSSAI Registration?

If the business activity is similar in nature, then only one FSSAI Registration would be sufficient, for example, if the FBO is engaged in the business of fruit & vegetable processing unit & a godown/ store along with it.

In case the FBO is engaged in the business which is not similar then separate FSSAI registration would be required, for example, if an FBO is carrying on activities like processing of meat as well as processing of milk & fruits & vegetables.

Can FBO apply for modification or changes in the particulars mentioned in the Licence granted?

Yes, the applicant is legally bound to inform the FSSAI about any material changes in the product category, layout, expansion, closure or any other material information given for the grant of licence /registration with FSSAI . The applicant needs to apply for the modification in the licence/registration and can start the business with such changes only after approval from the FSSAI.

The applicant needs to submit a modification application with the concerned licensing authority for effecting necessary changes along with the Original licence and Licence fee for one year.

What happens to the food licence/registration certificate after the demise of the licence holder?

The food licence/ registration certificate shall be valid for legal representative or the family members of the deceased until 90 days from the death of the holder of licence or registration certificate. The family members of the deceased shall apply for transfer of the licence within such period of 90 days. The licencing authority may approve or reject such the transfer request.

Whether food business should file Annual Return?

Every food manufacturer and importer who has been issued a license shall on or before 31st May of each year, submit a return electronically or in physical form as may be prescribed by the concerned Food Safety Commissioner, in Form D1 to the Licensing Authority in respect of each class of food products handled by him during the previous financial year.

Every licensee engaged in manufacturing of milk or milk products shall file half yearly returns for the periods 1st April to 30th September and 1st October to 31st March of every financial year in the form D-2.

Such returns will be filed within a month from the end of the period. Any delay in filing return beyond 31st May of each year shall attract a penalty of Rs 100 per day of delay.

Smooth Service Delivery by Setindiabiz

Order Online


Order Online
Request Quote



We would draft documents for filing


We Deliver the Service
Fast & Smoothly

Trusted by Leading Companies

Lotte Korea
New Prince Management
MAC Hotels Limited
Indian Post Payment Bank
GPX India

What Clients Say About Us

Jayanta Das

"We are using your services for over four years now. We are extremely satisfied with the way solutions are provided."

- Jayanta DasPrimero Skills & Training Pvt. Ltd. Director

"Smooth workflow and everything was completed on time with details & perfection. We cherish the association."

- VIVEKANANDA SINHAFIH Business Services Pvt. Ltd. Director

"We found solution to all our problems, we were facing in India. Team Setindiabiz streamlined our processes of accounting, tax and payroll with ease."

- LIU FUTANGCCIC India Private Limited Managing Director

Delhi, India

Mumbai | Bangalore | Hyderabad | China