The important points on the statutory books and registers of the company are as under:
- This is mandatory provision and applicable to all categories of companies, whether it is a public limited company, private limited company or OPC.
- The statutory registers and records need to be maintained at the registered address of the company
- The statutory registers and records must be made available for inspection to the stakeholders and some registers are available for inspection by the public at large. However, the request to make the inspection of the company public records must be given well in advance and the inspection can be performed at the time provided by the company.
- Any non-compliance on the part of the company or its officers in meeting the provisions concerning the statutory registers and records is punishable with fine which shall be a minimum of one Lakh and up to ten lakh. Apart from the fine, officers of the company may also be prosecuted and imprisoned for a term which may extend to six months.
Table of Contents
The mode of maintenance of the statutory register of the company:
Here is the List of statutory books and registers which a company is required to prepare, keep and maintain at the registered address of the company.
- Register of sweat equity shares. [Section 54 and Rule 8(14)of Companies (Share Capital and Debentures Rules,2014]
- Register of Employee Stock Options. [Section 62(1)(b) Rule 12 of Companies(Share Capital and Debentures) Rules,2014]
- Register of securities bought back. [Section 68(9) and Rule 17(12) of companies (Share Capital and Debenture) Rules, 2014]
- Register of deposits. [Section 73 and Rule 14 Companies (Acceptance of Deposits) Rules,2014]
- Register of charges. [Section 85 and Rule 7 of Companies (Registration of Charges) Rules2014]
- Register of members. [Section 88(1)(a) and Rule 3 of Companies(Management and Administration) Rules, 2014]
- Register of debenture holders. [Section 88(1)(b) & (c) and Rule 4 of Companies (Management and Administration) Rules, 2014]
- Foreign register. [Section 88 (4) and Rule 7 of Companies (Management and Administration) Rules, 2014].
- Register of Renewed and Duplicate Share Certificates. [Rule 6 of the Companies (Share Capital and Debentures) Rules,2014]
- Register of Significant beneficial owners in a company. (Section 90 of Companies Act).
- Register of Postal Ballot. [Section 110 and Rule 22 of the Companies (Management and Administration) Rules, 2014]
- Books containing minutes of General Meeting and of Board and of Committees of Directors. [Section 118]
- Books of account. [Section 128]
- Register of Directors/ Key Managerial Personnel. [Section170(1)]
- Register of investments in securities not held in the company’s name. [Section 18 and Rule 14 of Companies (Meetings of Board and its Powers) Rules,2014]
- Register of loans guarantees given and security provided or making the acquisition of securities (Section 186(9) and Rule 12 Companies (Meetings of Boards and its Powers) Rules2014]
- Register of contracts with companies/firms in which directors are interested. [Section 189(5) and Rule 16 of Companies (Meetings of Boards and its Powers) Rules,2014]