Table of Contents
Agmark certification – Is Mandatory
As of now Directorate of Marketing and Inspection formulated standards for 213 commodities of agricultural products.
Important points in Agmark Certification
- Agmark is a quality certification for agricultural produce by Government of India, under Agricultural Produce Grading and Marketing Act, 1937 amended in 1986. Agmark certified product must bear an Insignia of Agmark prescribed by the Directorate of Marketing and Inspection(DMI), an agency of Government of India.
- Agmark certification is a voluntary certification unless it is made compulsory as per provision of Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restriction on Sales) Regulation 2011.
- It is product specific certification provided in Agriculture Produce (Grading and Marking) Act. Government of India fixes varied grading standards for different agriculture products which is implemented on state level.
- To make the products comparable in international market the grading standards are fixed keeping in view the requirements of WTO.
- The products bearing Agmark must conform to the standard laid down by Directorate of Marketing and Inspection(DMI), any contravention to this may require free replacement of graded products by the producer.