Sanjeev Kumar | Jul 29, 2018 | 2
Launch of food safety and compliance system (FOSCOS)
FSSAI is launching a Food Safety and Compliance System (FoSCoS) to replace the existing Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS). Food Safety and Compliance System (FoSCoS) is a cloud-based, upgraded new food safety compliance online platform.FoSCoS will be one point platform that will enable the across the country data-driven regulatory approach.FoSCoS will be offering licensing, registration, inspection,, and annual return modules.
The FoSCoS shall be launched in phases. In the first phase, it is launched in States/UTs of Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Goa, Delhi, Odisha, Manipur, Chandigarh, Puducherry, and Ladakh with effect from 1st June 2020. It will be launched soon in the remaining States/UTs.
Every food business operator(FBO) is to migrate to FoSCoS upon launch of Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) (https://foscos.fssai.gov.in) in their State/UT.
How to migrate from FLRS to FoSCoS?
The FBO User ids and Passwords will remain the same in FoSCoS, as were in FLRS. They need to visit the FoSCoS website for login (https://foscos.fssai.gov.in) Further; the registered FBOs are divided into two categories for the migration to FoSCoS
- Food Businesses (Non-Manufacturing Kind of Business) or Registered Food Businesses (all Kind of Businesses except manufacturing)-
- Valid FSSAI Licensed Food Businesses (Manufacturing Kind of Business)
The details for migration to FoSCoS registered FBO is mentioned hereunder:
- Food Businesses (Non-Manufacturing Kind of Business) or Registered Food Businesses (all Kind of Businesses except manufacturing)- The existing Food Licensing and Registration System is functional for the viewing purpose so that licensed or registered food business can view the details of their existing licenses/registration in the FLRS and compare the same with the particulars entered in Food Safety Compliance System (FoSCoS) once it is launched in their State /UTS. The details need to be checked are as under:
- License or Registration number,
- Name and Address of the Food Business,
- Kind of Business enrolled,
- Category of Licence/ registration
- Valid FSSAI Licensed Food Businesses (Manufacturing Kind of Business)- Manufacture for the migration purpose could be further classified as
- Manufacture of standardised product –
- After login, they are required to modify their license (without cost) at the earliest, by selecting the products under manufacturing from the standardised list of products available in FoSCoS. In FLRS, there was a text box approach for writing the name of the products to be manufactured. In FoSCoS, product selection based methodology has been adopted for providing ease to the food businesses in the selection of standardised Food Products. Once the special period of modification without cost is over, such modification may not be allowed without cost, and licensing authority may take action on such FBOs as deemed appropriate.
- Secondly, if the renewal of license gets due and the FBO does not avail the facility of modification( without cost), then the renewal would only be allowed for one year.
- There may be cases where a food business was given the license for a product that does not have a name or nature, as mentioned in FSSR. If the product does not feature in the list, the food business is required to apply for Proprietary or Novel Food as the case may be (which are under Central License)
- They also need to verify the license’s details entered in FoSCoS and report any anomaly in the details of license/registration as compared with FLRS to FSSAI
- Manufacture of non-standardised products – If the product does not feature in the list, the food business is required to apply for Proprietary or Novel Food as the case may be (which are under Central License). But in case of non-specified food, supplements/nutraceuticals, proprietary food, and substances added to food, the licensing/ registration shall be based on a broad category approach, as in FLRS. They also need to verify the details of the license entered in FoSCoS and report any anomaly in the details of license/registration as compared with FLRS to FSSAI.
- Manufacture of standardised product –
How FosCOS is better than FLRS.
- It is similar in the scheme as to FLRS so that users have convenience in migrating to FoSCoS.
- It is one point stop for all engagement of an FBO with the department as it is offering licensing, registration, inspection, and annual return modules at one platform.
- The major change is the shift of methodology of licensing for manufacturers which now shall be based on the standardised product list. This will help in a quicker grant of licenses and eliminate the errors. The Foscos product selection based methodology is only for manufacturers of standardised food products.
- FoSCoS, provides the module for filing online Annual Return e. The return for the financial year 2019-2020 may be filed online. Now the FBO can file the online returns which rule out postal delays, need to preserve dispatch/receipt proofs and disputes regarding submission of returns resulting in harassment of food business operators.
- Mandatory documents have been rationalised and many paper-based declarations have been replaced with tick-based declarations.
The introduction of FoSCoS is to enhance the ease of doing business for the food business operators and enhance the user experience for users.